ICA STATEMENT ON CLEARANCE FOR MINISTERS
In response to queries, the Immigration & Checkpoints Authority (ICA) confirms that:
1. On 17 July, Minister Tan Chuan-Jin was travelling with 20 bus loads of people, who were his residents and grassroots leaders.
2. Minister Tan, his security officers and the other passengers in his bus were given clearance, without having to queue, at the Tuas Checkpoint on 17 July at around 9.20pm.
3. The passengers in the other 19 buses (who were with Minister Tan) were cleared through the normal channels. They joined the queue.
4. At that time, Mr Png Eng Huat was also at Tuas. Records show that he was there for about 30 minutes, and was cleared through immigration.
5. It is normal practice for ICA to give expedited clearance to Ministers, on both sides of the Causeway as well as members of the Malaysian royalty. Where they travel with others in a group, ICA officers will use their judgment on the clearance process.